Roger Federer to skip clay-court season after shock loss to Thanasi Kokkinakis

Share it:

• Federer to lose world No 1 ranking after second consecutive defeat
• Australian qualifier Kokkinakis is ranked No 175 in the world

Roger Federer lost his second consecutive match and his world No 1 ranking on Saturday night as the big-serving Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis, a qualifier ranked 175th, sprung a huge shock by beating him 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (4) at the Miami Open. Federer then announced he will be skipping the whole of the clay-court season.

The 36-year-old had been the oldest male No 1 ever, but will lose that spot to Rafael Nadal when the new rankings come out on 2 April. “I deserve it after this match,” Federer said. “That’s how I feel.”

Related: Caroline Wozniacki says her parents received death threats at Miami Open

Continue reading...

from Tennis | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2GosaSu
Share it:

News

Sports

Tennis | The Guardian

Tennis News

Post A Comment:

0 comments: